Re: [ft] Enabling Subpixel Rendering On freetype-2.7.1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Enabling Subpixel Rendering On freetype-2.7.1
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 19:17:03 +0100 (CET)

> I think that I figured it out.  I had also tested with
> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING set to a value of 1 and the
> default value of 2 neither of which rendered the fonts like previous
> versions of freetype2.  It never occured to me to simply undefine it
> by removing it in ftoption.h.  So, when I removed the definition of
> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING then rendering went back to being
> the same as with 2.6.3 and prior versions.

Hmm.  While having subpixel rendering without subpixel hinting is
possible, be aware that some old fonts might `explode' in this mode.

However, looking at your images, I don't see subpixel rendering
activated at all; it's simply grayscale rendering.  So what you've
done is to make the old v35 rendering mode for TTFs (from Win XP and
earlier) the default.

> Apparently, if subpixel rendering is enabled by defining
> FT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_RENDERING then
> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING must not be defined in order to
> get font rendering like previous versions of freetype2.

While using openSuSE by myself, I can't comment on that in more detail
since I basically don't fiddle with the font settings :-) What I
primarily use for inspecting FreeType changes is `ftview' and its
easily.

> So, I think that the problem is solved.

Great that you've found a solution that satisfies you!

    Werner