Re: [ft] The fastest way to query size of a rendered bitmap

From: J Decker
Subject: Re: [ft] The fastest way to query size of a rendered bitmap
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:02:55 -0700

from just loadglyph you get metrics of it, so you don't need to render it
at all to get how big it is...
THe advance is how wide the overall character is; that doesn't count how
big the bitmap actually is if you're trying to get the actual rendered size
of the character... but rather the cell size the character is expected to
be in.

status = FT_Load_Glyph( face
, glyph_index
, 0   // | FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT
);

int ascent = CEIL( face->size->metrics.ascender );
int descent = CEIL( face->size->metrics.descender );
int height = CEIL( face->size->metrics.height );
/* left offset */
, face->glyph->bitmap_left // left offset?
/* width */
, (face->face_flags & FT_FACE_FLAG_SCALABLE)
? (face->glyph->linearHoriAdvance >> 16)
: (face->glyph->advance.x >> 6)