Re: [ft] 答复: How to use the PCF fonts with FreeType 2.5.3

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] 答复: How to use the PCF fonts with FreeType 2.5.3
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 09:00:04 +0100 (CET)

> I tried the suggestion from Werner, and downloaded the ftview demo
> from http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2-demos.git/.
> Since there are other features rely on the freetype in my project, I
> do not upgrade the version to 2.9, and keep it as 2.5.3.

OK.

> I still have some questions need your further help:
>
>   * "To make that work you need a FreeType library that has both
>     activated PCF and gzip support."  Does this mean that I should
>     compile pcf.c?

No, this means that the configuration macros
`FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_LZW' and `FT_CONFIG_OPTION_USE_ZLIB' (in file
`ftoption.h') should be defined, and that the line

  FONT_MODULES += pcf

in file `modules.cfg' is present.

>   * I tried to compile the demo as the README.  But it seems that
>     there are some macro definitions are missing.  Is there any
>     instruction to build this demo?

The description is in file `freetype2-demos/README'.  If you follow
this to the letter, everything should work.  Note that it's probably
easiest if you compile FreeType (the library, not the demo programs)
with

  make devel && make

for compiling the demo programs instead of calling the configure
script.

>   *   Is this demo only on desktop?

Well, inspecting glyphs usually needs something to look at, right?
But no, not all demo programs need a GUI.

>   * This demo seems to be more complicated to me. Is there any
>     simple demo to only handle the PCF? (The zip file is also not
>     necessary)

No.  FreeType provides a uniform interface to all fonts.  If you want
something simpler, look at the FreeType tutorial examples.

  https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step3.html

    Werner