Re: [ft] Freetype2 returns different descender value after upgrading 2.6

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Freetype2 returns different descender value after upgrading 2.6.x to 2.8.x
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 21:55:43 +0200 (CEST)

> First, winset is kind of UI element like button.  In this case, to
> display text, we use text winset.  Developer can set what text will
> be shown and its height, width, font size, etc.

Do you probably mean `widget'?  For example this one:

  http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwidgets-index.html

I've never heard the term `winset' – please give a link.

> In our text winset, there is a code to prevent text overflow.  Text
> overflow means that the bitmap from freetype is bigger than winset
> size.  This can be happend when developer sets bigger font size than
> winset size.  [...]  In this case, we change text to
> "...". (Generally, we said this Ellipsis)
>
> To check bitmap from freetype is bigger than winset size, we compare
> sum of ascender and descender with winset height.

I think for this purpose it's better to use the *real* bitmap size,
not the typographic one.  In other words, you should collect the
bboxes for all glyphs in your text string, take the extremum values
for `bbox.yMin' and `bbox.yMax' and add them.

    Werner