Re: [ft] Optimizing ft_adobe_glyph_list

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Optimizing ft_adobe_glyph_list
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 05:37:16 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for the late response.

> As a side note, would it be OK to:
>
>  (a) modify the glnames script to use python3? python 2.x will be
>      EOL soon.

If preserving compatibility is *extremely* hard, this is OK – the
generated data will be committed to the repository.  On the other
hand, if compatibility is easily possible, please support both.  [BTW,
I very much doubt this `EOL soon'.  It's rather an `end of development
support'.  Far too much 2.x Python code was written the last few
years.]

>  (b) use the standard python style as outlined in PEP 8?  This will
>      allow to use tools like pylint and flake8 easily to catch
>      stupid errors before running the script.

This is OK.

> If you agree, the patches for either or both of the above could come
> before the changes to the algorithm itself.

Thanks.

> My plan was to add micro-benchmarks that test the performance of the
> code directly under different conditions (e.g. 100, 50, 0 percent of
> the cache is cold before the calls).

Great!

> I can add a higher-level test too.  Should I commit the font file to
> the repository itself too?

Please no.  It is expected that font engine developers have some
standard fonts on their machines :-)

    Werner