fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] Freedom to become slaves?

From: Simon Bridge
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Freedom to become slaves?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:22:50 +1300

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 23:13 -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> My personal definition of a Libertarian is "Believer in the right to
> do anything that does not harm anybody else of any importance."
> http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Code_Words#Legal_technicalities-Liberty

Personal definitions are so... convenient.

I love the "of any importance" part ;) suggests it is OK to harm people
who are not important - which could be anyone you don't like. But then,
any one-line definition is bound to be found wanting.

Try a more complete overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism

However, considering that definition - making and promoting non-free
software would be harmful to important other people: its users.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/4484
> We say that non-free software is antisocial because it tramples the
> users' freedom, and we develop free software to escape from that.
-- RMS

So, under that personal definition, non-free software is
anti-libertarian.