fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] UEFI - 'Windows only'

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] UEFI - 'Windows only'
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:50:43 -0500

On 11-11-15 08:20 PM, David C Dawson wrote:
Just a note about the FSF stance on UEFI with regard to the possibility
of making computers 'Windows only'.

Might that actually be 'Windows 8' only?

It is unsigned operating systems, or where the UEFI loader doesn't have the matching public key to the signature.

This is not really a Microsoft issue, except for the fact that they currently dominate the legacy desktop/laptop markets. Some hardware manufacturers will be lazy, and not future-proof their hardware.

We should be mandating that hardware vendors create secure mechanisms for hardware owners to load their own choice of public keys.

Will governments protect all property rights from all threats?
http://c11.ca/5361

It is likely that a Microsoft key will be included on all hardware (due to current popularity of that vendor), and that Microsoft will make signed versions of Windows 7 available. If you are thinking about XP or even Vista, it is highly unlikely that Microsoft will make a signed version available, just as it is unlikely they will make a signed version of IE6 available given they are lobbying hard to get rid of that software: http://www.ie6countdown.com/

All IMHO:  I don't represent the FSF.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"