fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] Canadian Free Software community taking on Bill C-11

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] Canadian Free Software community taking on Bill C-11
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:01:45 -0500

On 12-02-19 04:58 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
If the only thing to do is to try to influence conservative MPs,
I suggest that someone write an article about digital handcuffs and their
injustice, and show that to conservative MPs.

I suggest more than a single "someone" should. I've been writing about the issue using different but similarly aggressive language (didn't use the phrase "DRM is theft", but did say non-owner locks on devices are closer to theft than copyright infringement is). What I think we need is more people talking about these issues in a way that won't allow Conservatives to be confused into thinking this issue is only about "copyright".

Would you (Richard Stallman) be willing to write something up for posting on a (your?) website? We would all then forward references (and copies of that text) to MPs, etc.

Maybe we should also be doing is a letter writing campaign where all Free Software supporters take a sample letter, personalise it, and send to their MP. We could hopefully inform people via some of the FSF lists (Defective by design, etc). Maybe let them know about this list so that Canadian FSF supporters will know there is a place for us to discuss Canadian issues.

When people are willing to meet with their MP, that should be part of the letter. Offering to meet elevates in the mind of the MP the importance of the issue to the constituent. There is a hierarchy for communicating MPs, with letter writing being on the easy (to do and for MP to ignore) to the hard (phone calls, personal visits).

We should also indicate that we have people in Ottawa that can speak to any MP about this issue at their convenience. I'm one person who works on the same street (Wellington) as MPs parliamentary offices, and there may be others here in Ottawa willing to join me.

For those who have not written before, MP names and email addresses are available via http://c11.ca/edid (browse by province and postal code lookup)

If you want to go direct to source, see:

Postal code lookup:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/ParlInfo/Compilations/HouseOfCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?PostalCode=&Submit=Find&Language=E

Full list if you know their name or your riding:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

--- cut ----

Dear   [Fill in right MP name]

I am writing you about non-copyright related impacts of Copyright bill C-11. This bill puts digital handcuffs on the computers and other technology which Canadians depend on for work and personal reasons.

(etc -- use better wording - blah blah blah)

  I would like to meet with you to discuss this issue.

[or]

I would like you to meet with members of our community to discuss this issue in detail. We have people who live in Ottawa who can meet you in your parliamentary office. Please reply and/or write to address@hidden to set up a meeting.

[Name, address, and postal code of letter author. Postal code critical as staffers look up to verify if the person is a constituent]

We have other sample letters at http://c11.ca/letters

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own