fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Canadian Free Software community taking on Bill C-11

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Canadian Free Software community taking on Bill C-11
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:30:46 -0500

On Feb 19, 2012 6:28 PM, "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden> wrote:
> The writing you've shown me so far lacks emotional punch.
> I have a feeling you have intentionally tried to avod that.
> avoided it deliberately?

  The petition was devoid of passion, and that was deliberate as that was suggested at the time as part of the style of parliamentary petitions.   Whether that was the right idea or not we'll never know, as it is hard to know what influence the petitions have had over the years.

> Emotional punch is what gets through to people.  If you have been aiming
> for logic without passion, that is not likely to be very effective.

  Understood, and it may be a style thing where expressing the passion (sometimes outright anger at those who show absolutely no respect for my rights as a technology owner who abuse their theft-is-theft B.S.) is something I try to tone down for fear of going too far and having important policy people tune me out.

  If there were more of us in Canada that were dedicated to this aspect of the debate, then we could coordinate good-cop/bad-cop and some people risk letting the emotions fly, but thus far we haven't had a big team storming parliament hill.

   I've established myself as the calm technology property rights guy, so if anyone in this forum wants to take on the roll of being emotional the field is open.