fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] 'TPM' etc.

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] 'TPM' etc.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 07:49:35 -0500

On 12-03-03 05:22 PM, David C Dawson wrote:
Re: TPM etc, esp on ARM devices

Since it appears that the intention is to make any used gadget
into a useless piece of junk fit only for the landfill, then
might it be desireable to persuade provincial governments to add
a recycling fee on devices that *cannot* have alternate OS's installed?

I think this argument is an interesting one that should be pursued, but we also have a stronger one.

I believe that provincial governments should fully recognise and protect the property rights of technology owners. Once a computer is *sold* (paid for, etc -- IE: not a rental under some contract) it should be the right of the owner to remove any foreign locks and apply their own security, etc.

This may involve provincial governments clarifying that contracting terms that disallow owner unlocking are null-and-void, and possibly to have legal requirements for unlocking and/or owner override for lawful sale/import of computers.

Will governments protect all property rights from all threats?
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/5361

Federal Bill C-32 tramples areas of provincial jurisdiction
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/5156
   -- includes letters I've written to my provincial MPP on these issues.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!" http://c11.ca/own