fsfe-france-gpl

[Fsfe-france-gpl] Sean Doherty & GNU GPL

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Fsfe-france-gpl] Sean Doherty & GNU GPL
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:24:18 +0100

        Hi,

        Here is the mail I sent yesterday to Sean Doherty, the author of
http://www.networkcomputing.com/1222/1222ws1.html.

To: address@hidden
Subject: GNU GPL

        Hi,

        Please reconsider your opinion on the GNU GPL. It protected my
freedom and the freedom of my company during the past 10 years. My
company produces GNU GPL'd software so that our competitors play fair.
If they want to re-use our work, they agree to give back. If they
don't want to give back, they cannot re-use our work. Note that
the GNU GPL cannot force them to give back, the choice is theirs.

        My company would have never released the work under the BSD
license. It would have been a commercial suicide. Any company could
come over, take our 5 years work, spend two months to enhance it, do a
marketing campaign, distribute the whole under a proprietary license
and put us out of business. Their modifications would not be available
to us and we would slowly drift away.

        The GNU GPL is good for business, please help us, explain this
to people.

        Cheers,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden