[Fsfe-uk] New Year, new work to do

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] New Year, new work to do
Date: 01 Jan 2002 20:22:07 +0000

Hey everyone,

You may have seen on slashdot the UK Government OSS thing - following on
from the QinetiQ report we've discussed before, they've issued a Policy
Draft based on their original (flawed :( ) report.

At http://www.alex.uklinux.net/Documents/ I've posted a draft reply to
the draft policy (they're consulting 'til mid-March, which gives us
plenty of time to get stuff into them), and also the document I've been
writing about the pisspoor QinetiQ report that they're basing this stuff
on. I would be grateful for any feedback (unless it's about how poor a
HTML conversion Abiword does ;) people might have - bear in mind that I
haven't finished either of them, but I figured they're in a state in
which people can give me feedback. Maybe the /. story will sharpen my
mind :)

Also, we need to catch back up to where we were. We're ready for action,
I think, with most people expressing a preference for a Ltd. (at least
to start with - we can always change later if we decide to) being setup
ASAP, basically. But, there were only a few of us discussing this -
maybe it was the time we discussed it (i.e., just before Christmas). I
suggest anyone with strong feelings to the contrary shout now before we
just do something?

Lastly, I've collected a list of all the various projects that we've
discussed here & that others have suggested, which I will try to post
soon as a kind of to-do list. I will also start putting together some
web stuff for a basic AFFS website (i.e., contact information, logs,
docs, etc.) unless someone else does it soon :) I'm also going to
attempt a calendar of sorts - there aren't many UK things happening this
year, but I'm getting murmurings that there are a few things at
planning/implementation stage, so this year might actually end up being
quite good.

Oh, yeah.. Happy New Year!!

Cheers,

Alex.