Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patent MEP response
Date: 19 May 2003 08:17:53 +0100

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 21:11, Karl Naylor wrote:
> subject.  I found that this also happened when I wrote to my own MP on
> a different issue (ID cards).  I wonder if this is generally the case
> when writing to MPs... I'll try my own MEPs and see what comes up.

They will tend to defer to 'experts' on technical issues - which is
probably a good thing in most ways. But it does mean that they will tend
to trot out pat answers, so I guess the thing is to address what we know
they will trot out in the first place ;)

> I agree that we need clarification of the term `technical effect'.
> Will you be writing again to find out?

If there are enough people contacting their MEPs, I would be grateful if
people could tell me/AFFS - it would be useful to try and cover all the
MEPs, and so knowing who had been 'hit' and who hadn't is useful
information. In fact, it would be an even better idea to try and get
people outside of AFFS to write also.

Cheers,

Alex.