Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 09:35:44 +0100

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 09:09:16AM +0100, Chris Croughton wrote:
> I'll accept that it was not intended that way, but I think the Free
> Software Movement has to be careful in associating itself with extremist
> groups of any sort, or at least to keep a balance between them.

Okay, cool, that's no problem - in fact, I think I probably agree with
you.

> Would the organisation take a stall at a pro-capitalism or a
> pro-globalisation rally?  That would be needed for balance, I think.

We wouldn't pro-actively seek to 'balance' as such, but yeah, I don't see
any problem with that. The only stuff I would be against going to would
be events which reflect badly on AFFS - for example, it's unlikely I would
want to see us at some National Front meet, no matter how much Free Software
they may or may not use.

We basically go to stuff people bring to our attention, for the most part,
because even though we (the AFFS committee) try to keep aware of things
going on, for the most part the collective awareness that is fsfe-uk is
much better at that kind of thing. So, if anyone wants to see us at the
fringe of the Tory party conference or something, feel free to suggest it.

Cheers,

Alex.