Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership/Recruitment
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 08:55:32 +0100

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:46:46PM -0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> Chris Croughton <address@hidden> wrote:
> > There are certainly a lot who aren't in LUGs, and don't even know about
> > them.
>
> How do you reach them specifically, then?

Good point (and good debating technique, throw the question back <g>).

I would say off the top of my head:

  *  'Adverts' in Linux magazines (Linux Format etc.).
  *  Getting plugs in online Linux distribution newsletters (Debian, for
     instance, does a weekly newsletter, I don't know whether any of the
     other distros do).
  *  Getting webmasters[1] of distro sites to put links to AFFS on their
     site pages, like they do with the FSF links.
  *  Getting it mentioned in Linux newsgroups (that's how I got here,
     but I don't think I've seen any mentions since).

The first one may be expensive, and will again only reach a subset who
read the mags.

[1] I haven't heard any complaints that web-mistresses are being
excluded by that term.  Although I did know one person who had a
'postmistress@' account on her machine, postmaster@ forwarded to
there...

> > IGs?  Serious point -- we look like being overrun by acronyms (several I
> > don't know), and that will /really/ put off a load of people.
>
> Oh, sure. It's just density at the moment that has provoked their use.

That's OK, I'm pretty dense at the moment as well <g>...

Chris C