Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: An ignorant question?

From: Gordon Joly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: An ignorant question?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:24:19 +0100

At 10:13 +0100 2003/06/10, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> I don't discount a more traditional X interface (please, no more
>> X-windows, there is no such beast :)
>
>It's the X Window System.  But that's a mouthful hence the many shorter
>forms, e.g. X Windows, and X.

Never call it X Windows!!!

:-)

I think that Project Athena people did not like "X Windows".

<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XWindow-Overview-HOWTO/introduction.html>

<quot>
Historically, UNIX has had a lot of improvements done by academic types. A good
example is the BSD networking code added to it in the late 1970's, which was,
of course, the product of work at the University of California at Berkeley. As
it turns out, the X Window System (also called X, but never X Windows), which
is the foundation for most GUI subsystems found in modern UNIX (unices?), Linux
and the BSD's included, was also the result of an academic project, namely the
Athena project at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
</quot>

Gordo

--
Linux User No. 256022///