[Fsfe-uk] Update on Microsoft in schools

From: ian
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Update on Microsoft in schools
Date: 27 Jun 2003 16:52:41 +0100

Just to let you know that my MP Brain Jenkins asked the following
questions in Parliament

5th June

To ask the Minister for the Cabinet Office, what action his Department
is taking to increase confidence in government departments in moving to
open source operating systems and programs.

Reply from Douglas Alexander on OSS SIG etc.OSS are to be procured where
they demonstrate best value. Levelling the playing field etc.

Also a written question

What government departments have signed contracts with Microsoft; how
much are they worth; how long each contract lasts, how many contracts
require signing non-disclosure agreements and how much it would cost to
terminate a contract - transferred to the Chancellor of the Exchequer as
more appropriate. Reply from Paul Boateng that records are not held
centrally (ie the gov has no idea how much it spends on M$ software :-)
) but under a GCAT contract £29.2 million is spent by departments.

Also to Charles Clarke
What action is the department taking to increase the confidence of
schools in the use of Open Source software?

Brian has asked me to comment on the replies and I have sent him a
lengthy E-mail so he can turn the screws up more. Its clear from the
replies that its civil servants after a quiet life rather than
politicians that are providing the info. We aim to change that if at all
possible.

If anyone wants to see a copy of the reply I sent I can post it its just
a bit long. Well probably a couple of pages.

--
ian <address@hidden>