Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:16:45 +0100

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 03:10:48PM +0100, Timothy Baldwin wrote:

> A paper petition againist the nazi that has been trolling on uk.comp.os.linux
> and elsewhere, calling that he should be banned from using the Internet. This
> falls within the AFFS's goal because he is disrupting the free software
> comminity, if the nazis aren't stopped soon it is possible we could be facing
> physical violence from many nazis.

So you want to censor free speech on the Internet?

What I've seen of that troll (and others on ucol) seems to indicate that
the worst of the damage is being done because idiots respond to the
troll.  That's what killfiles (and 'scoring' as in slrn) are for.  If
you are really looking at "physical violence" then that is a matter for
the police, if not then for his ISP.  Either way a petition is not going
to be effective and will likely be counter-productive, because most
people won't have the first idea what you are on about except that you
want to censor someone who disagrees with you.

(And by using the 'N' word you invoke Godwin -- once that term is used
pejoratively the rest of the discussion is meaningless.)

Chris C