Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] McCarthy report withdrawn
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:23:52 +0100

Hey, good news :-)

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
The McCarthy report HAS been withdrawn! (forwarded mail at bottom)

I've confirmed this with a phone call to the European Parliament
Office in Ireland.  They said that this happens when a directive
is very contraversial or when too many amendments are proposed.

The directive will go back to the committee stage for some more
work, and a new version will go to the plenary on either 22nd of
September, or early October.  October is more likely.

On the phone, she said that it is *definitely* withdrawn.  This
situation can be reversed but it's highly unlikely.

we kick ass. ...and have more work to do :)

This is bound to turn more heads. I propose we put in more work in trying to find more allies as it is all in the news.

There are already few local non IT figures featured in this well written article.
http://www.itworld.com/Man/2687/030828eupatent/

The short and sweet letter is here
http://www.researchineurope.org/policy/patentdirltr.pdf

Best regards,