Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gnu/Linux and freedom (was Linux in Thailand.)

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gnu/Linux and freedom (was Linux in Thailand.)
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:34:25 +0000

Chris Croughton wrote:
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 11:18:51AM +0000, Nick wrote:

Freedom is the key. If you use non-free software, you are binding yourself to secret proprietary interfaces. The user interface is a small facet of this. Bigger facets are secret data formats. Secret file formats, secret authentication protocols, encoding your personal documents in a form only one organisation knows how to or has the right to decode. Extending control from one platform (eg desktop to server or to PDA) by making the desktop clients only talk the secret language when communication is needed.

Not true in many cases.  If I use a proprietary POSIX-compliant library,
say, how doe that bind me to "secret proprietary interfaces"?  If I use
(say) PDE, a proprietary (closed source shareware) text editor for
Windows, how does that bind me to "secret data formats"?

Of course proprietary software *can* conform to public interface
specifications. Just that the most dominant proprietary software
achieves dominance through not doing so.

All you are arguing for is open interfaces and protocols, the
implementations can be as proprietary as they like.  All you have to do
is verify them (or have someone you trust verify them) against the
public standards.

How better to achieve this than through using free software?