Re: [Fsfe-uk] Brief report: OSS Watch launch conference. (fwd)

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Brief report: OSS Watch launch conference. (fwd)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:45:16 +0000

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 10:33, Tom Coady wrote:
> ian said the following on 09/01/2004 09:23:
>
> >I think the statement here is misleading. From what I read on ZDnet it
> >wasn't security resons, just that their systems are complicated and that
> >they were not sure about how to integrate and replace all the existing
> >applications. Since I think Netproject have been involved its would
> >probably be worth contacting Eddie Bleasdale there to find the real
> >story.
> >

> Yes, security seems a weird reason to choose. A bit like saying Linux is
> no good because it's closed source.
>
> In any case there is another reason cited here
> http://www.vnunet.com/News/1151880 and discussed here:

On this basis it could be argued that this demonstrates the dangers of
tie in to proprietary systems. If you are a new business or have little
dependency, do everything possible to avoid dependency by using FLOSS
where possible and certainly for the core applications that are most
likely to make you dependent. If you are in a dependent situation work
incrementally to get out of it.

--
ian <address@hidden>