Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Microsoft Research External Lecture: Dr Stefan Kooths

From: Neil Darlow
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Fwd: Microsoft Research External Lecture: Dr Stefan Kooths, University of Muenster
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:18:53 +0000

Hi,

On Thursday 15 Jan 2004 10:53, it was written:
> >  They
> > demonstrate quite clearly that the promotion of open-source software
> > cannot be an economically justifiable role for the state.

I wonder if the Good Doctor has factored the unnecessary time wastage
arising from the use of these Commercial Applications and Operating Systems?

I imagine the clean-up costs alone for organisations affected by viruses
received via buggy applications amounts to a significant figure. With
Microsoft's track record on poor product security these costs are likely to
be recurrent also ;-)

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.
--