Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:26:42 +0000

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 02:35:38PM +0000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:16:48PM +0000 or thereabouts, Chris Croughton
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:25:43AM +0000, P.L.Hayes wrote:
> >
> > Going by the BBCi News/Technology section it looks as though they are
> > quite anti-Linux, all of the recent articles there have been slanted as
> > though SCO is in the right.  For instance the new (16 Jan) article
> > "Linux users face licence cash call": "Users who do not buy a licence to
> > use Linux could end up in court as the origins of the software are
> > contested", which is not only 'old' news (except that Europe has now
> > been included) but doesn't mention that SCO have shown in their latest
> > deposition that they have no 'evidence' at all and are now trying to
> > claim that anything written for AIX -- or even OS/2! -- is theirs.
>
> Source for the OS/2 bit?

Their latest submission claims that the JFS in Linux is 'theirs'.
However, although the JFS in Linux is similar to that in AIX 5, both of
them were derived from the version of JFS implemented from specs
'clean-room' for OS/2, and not the older version in AIX 4.

> Looking at the results of searching for Linux on the BBC news site:
> http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=newsukfs&tab=news&q=linux
>
> ..I wouldn't say "they are quite anti-Linux" at all.

Perhaps 'anti' was a bit severe.  "Not reporting all sides" is more like
it.

> Especially not when I look at Netcraft and see that
> they (the BBC) are running Linux themselves.

Indeed.  But their reporting in the BBCi Technology section hasn't been
all that favourable in quite a few cases, in particular the latest two
and the links from them:

Linux users face licence cash call
Cash fund for Linux legal defence
Linux community told to 'get real'
Linux copyright row escalates

> Yes, there is one columnist who doesn't seem too keen, but
> one person does not a department policy make.

Someone in that department decides what stories to put there.  If that's
not department policy they have a /real/ problem with managing their
department...

Chris C