Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:22:11 +0000

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 06:29:20PM +0000, Paul wrote:

> > Their latest submission claims that the JFS in Linux is 'theirs'.
> > However, although the JFS in Linux is similar to that in AIX 5, both of
> > them were derived from the version of JFS implemented from specs
> > 'clean-room' for OS/2, and not the older version in AIX 4.
>
> If you want a real laugh, have a look at the amendments as detailed on
> groklaw.net - it's brilliant. They've changed it so that they are no
> longer protecting their IP, but are wanting to establish it exists!

Oh gods, it's got even better since I last looked there (soon after
their submission was posted).  Is there any of their submission which
holds water at all?

(I mean, going from "we have evidence of millions of lines of copied
code" to "we want your latest code so we can try to find evidence that
you donated your work to Linux" was bad enough, and I knew about the JFS
issue from earlier statements, but now they are asking for a later
version of something when one hasn't been written?)

Chris C