Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:35:07 +0000

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 10:59, Philip Hunt wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2004 12:50 am, MJ Ray wrote:
> > On 2004-01-25 21:33:09 +0000 Philip Hunt <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > While it could be argued that this doesn't matter, because a
> > > knighthood is merely a symbolic title, I feel it is important
> > > because people will tend to think of Gates in an undeservedly good
> > > light,
> >
> > I doubt that. Every time a computer is crashed by his firm's software,
> > the opposite seems to happen.
>
> Indeed so, but Gates with a knighthood is likely to be more respected
> than gates without a knighthood; indeed that's the whole point of
> the honours system.

Seems a bit like giving George Soros a peerage for his contribution to
the UK economy with Black Wednesday :-)

Rather frightening how ignorant politicians seem to be about technology
and its economic effects.

Mind I should think politically its shooting the Labour party in the
foot. How many people will vote Labour because they give BG a gong? How
many people will not vote Labour because they give BG a gong? Rather
more in the latter camp I should think.

--
ian <address@hidden>