[Fsfe-uk] Co-operative Internet Banking

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Co-operative Internet Banking
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:38:10 +0000

(Attention grabbed by news:uk.comp.os.linux and news:<address@hidden> which have more info and latest news.)

As you may know, the AFFS banks with the Co-operative Bank. We don't use their internet banking yet, because it doesn't work with free software. Recently, we had letters and forms for their new internet banking service Accumen, so we have registered. Sadly, unlike their personal banking services, this doesn't work with free software either. According to reports on newsgroups, it doesn't work for MacOS either. There is a petition calling on the bank to support open standards at http://www.petitiononline.com/coopbank/ for customers to sign. AFFS will sign this.

I called their Computer Banking Services (bank customers can call 0870 241 8532 between 0800-1800 weekdays) and explained the problems. They say that they have had a number of calls about trying to the new system with non-MSIE browsers and hope to fix them. Above all, they said their customers seem unhappy with the system (especially non-MSIE users of the previous internet banking) and so it is being taken seriously. I think they regard the "executive decision" to develop only for Microsoft as a mistake now. It was taken because Accumen replaces both the old internet banking service and some Windows client-server system.

I will send a letter to their customer services manager asking for a formal reply about the details. I hope the letter will be published somewhere on http://www.affs.org.uk/ when sent. If you would like a copy of it or the reply, please email me directly.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden