Re: [Fsfe-uk] Munich, swpat and Linux - possible in UK

From: Ralph Janke
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Munich, swpat and Linux - possible in UK
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:01:15 +0100

Robin Green wrote:

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:41:37AM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 02:00 +0100, Tom Chance wrote:
After the recent news about the Green Party stirring the city of Munich into anti-software patent action [1], it made me think: would this be remotely possible in the UK?
Surely stopping the roll-out of Free Software because of some fear of
software patents is mostly akin to cutting your nose off to spite your
face? I can't think Munich's actions would be something we should try to
replicate in this country.

It's a nice piece of political brinkmanship. Temporarily losing Munich city
council to MS would be a minor setback compared to losing the fight to ban
software patents in Europe. I think the FFII and the Greens were right to raise
this issue and point out a concrete example for patents stifling reform in this
way.

Of course, it would be pointless if the EU member states were entirely beholden
to the likes of Microsoft and couldn't be persuaded by threats to indigenous
software businesses... but as we've seen, that isn't the case with all EU
governments.
I think some of the issue is just hot air....

1) It would have to be investigated how many patents will be held up in court. I do not believe a lot of them have been tested yet. And novelty and/or inventive step are hurdles a lot of patents might fail at the end (see the Bromcom case).

2) It might be good that a public authority with high profile has to deal with the issue since it will often be decided rather than settled behind closed doors (see Bromcom, the DfES went the whole way, while a company before caved in and settled).

3) Even if the Free Software movement would loose some projects now, the publicity that this would stir up about the issue of patent monopolies that are totally counter-productive to any competitive market and cost the tax payers unbelievable sums of money might have an effect that is needed to find a majority of people who see software patents as a threat and are willing to put political pressure on the topic.

4) Maybe it is time to raise the issue why the EU hands out grants (tax payers money) for Free Software Projects and boycotts them in turn with their Patent policies

5) Maybe it is time to raise the issue why the EU pays tax payers money for grants that use the money in pay M*croso$t tax...

I believe as much publicity comes from this and is channeled the right way (Public relation people volunteer to give background to the media outlets !!!) as better for the fight against software patents...

Ralph Janke