Fwd: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Smile to become accessible with free software, perhap

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Fwd: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Smile to become accessible with free software, perhaps
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:20:17 +0100

Date: Wednesday 15 Sep 2004 03:43
From: Rufus Pollock - Open Knowledge Foundation <address@hidden>
To: Tom Chance <address@hidden>
Cc: SteveC <address@hidden>

Tom Chance wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 Sep 2004 21:33, MJ Ray wrote:
>>On 2004-09-08 20:29:09 +0100 Phil Driscoll <address@hidden>
>>
>>wrote:
>>>I think most of what is on this page is incorrect - I wonder if it
>>>pertains
>>>to an old version of the site from before I opened my account.
>>
>>I got there by www.smile.co.uk -> help (graphic near foot of page) ->
>>"help index" -> "it's not working ..." -> "techno speak". You might
>>like to tell them.
>>
>>>Free software friendly, and ethical investments too - what more could
>>>we want
>>
>>Since you ask: I want them to allow free software into online business
>>banking (might be underway, but no answer to my enquiries)
>
> Well we discussed this briefly before, but maybe it would be a good idea to
> use the Co-Op as a target for the first open information campaign? If we
> can get them to ensure that all of their web sites are free software
> friendly and only use open technologies then it would be both a worthwhile
> win and a good rallying call for future campaigns.
>
> I've CC-ed Rufus Pollock of the Open Knowledge Foundation and Friends of
> the Creative Domain since he's also doing this sort of thing in Cambridge
> and with the UKUUG, if I'm not mistaken.
>
> Rufus, AFFS people, what do you say? We would need to:
>
> * Research what is OK and what isn't
> * Research who to target in the Co-Op and how we should do it
> * Develop a strategy and timetable and start working on it
>
> I shouldn't imagine it'd be an awful lot of work, but it'd need volunteers.

Totally agree. we should also try coordinating to actually find out if people
are already running similar campaigns within the UK (for example Steve - who
is cced on this email - has been working on open format stuff at UCL).

I have set up an open wiki: http://www.okfn.org/iai/wiki

to serve 2 purposes:
        1. start work on producing the list of acceptable (open) formats
        2. coordinate info on who is already doing what and to share materials

I had a current proposal to try and do a division of labour on 1 where i
 would take text formats and Steve would take audio formats. I wondered
 whether you, Tom, would be interested in doing video + image formats. Of
 course anyone is welcome to work on any of other areas etc but just as a
 rough division i thought it would be a start.

Regards,

Rufus

PS: Tom would you be able to forward this to any relevant lists that i am not
currently a subscriber to (e.g. fsfe)?