Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:30:36 +0100

Philip Hands wrote:

Chris Croughton wrote:

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 10:26:30PM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:

Perpetual copylleft sounds more noble than copyleft and this would surely be an asset for the FSF, would it make it worth them diluting the old meaning in order to get more coverage for the concept and thus also more covereage and recognition for perpetual copyleft than they currently have for "copyleft"? Sort of like having one floor our of a popular city hotel instead of a motel in the country?

Is there any potential in this idea?

If you can sell it to the FSF, I think that's the best idea I've heard
so far.  Certainly I would go for that, I would happily use the term
'copyleft' as a generic and I think it's the sort of term which the
media would latch onto, it makes a good sound-bite ("What we are doing
is 'copy-left'.  It's like copyright but the other way round.").  I'd
hope that the other FS licences would use it as well.

The problem with this is that it plays straight into the hands of the those who wish to portray us as destroyers of so called "Intellectual Property".

Press release for the following day:

  "Clearly anyone that supports "Copyleft" wishes to destroy the
   Copyright system which provides the foundation on which the largest
   software companies are built, and so they're a bunch of thieving,
   pinko, commie pirates, who are probably in league with Al Qaeda."

Fancy coming up with a more press worthy rebuttal?

 "Clearly anyone who releases work under Copyleft wishes
 to encourage sharing of their creative works showing that
 the ever extending copyright restrictions are not desired or
 even asked for by all creative artists, but rather by the few
 ever-merging corporations who wish to put their own price
 tag on culture and a tax on all forms of sharing."

I see copyleft as an alternative choice to copyright, it certainly does not seek to destroy copyright in my mind, and the the minds of GPL the power of copyleft is based on respect for copyright.

I think it would be simpler to rebut any such claims that it is to explain about the difference between open source, shared source and the like.
I hope copyleft is a registered trademark.

Sam

Sam