Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC digital curriculum service in England

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC digital curriculum service in England
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:30:24 +0100

On Thursday 14 Oct 2004 10:48, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-10-13 10:52:31 +0100 Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Depends whether you're looking at home users, business users,
> > European,
> > etc. Macromedia's NPD survey says 98.3% across European users.
>
> I think the NPD survey is the one at
> http://www.macromedia.com/software/player_census/flashplayer/ but
> where are the quoted European results and methodology?

I wonder if that matters?  It's all well and good to support a 98% majority
 of the population, but if the remaining 1.7% are specific groups such as
 disabled users or people with certain computing requirements, that's actual
 discrimination, rather than providing for the vast majority, isn't it?

Also, 98.3% does sound high to me, too.  I would just about believe that
 ratio of desktops capable of running Flash to non-capable ones.  And, if I
 recall correctly, an older version of windows included a flash plugin of
 some sort that didn't actually seem functional beyond asking you if you
 wanted to download a newer flash plugin.  I wonder how many flash installs
 are capable of running the latest animations, and how many of the people who
 don't have flash simply avoid such sites because they already feel excluded?
  I know I certainly don't frequent Flash sites.

--
Lee Braiden