Re: [Fsfe-uk] Introduction

From: linuxgirlie
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Introduction
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:52:27 +0000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:37:51 +0000, Robin Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> Looks like a godsend - everything pretty much preconfigured, right?
> Good stuff!

Thats correct and the whole point :) it means anyone can come along
and install and run it, not for your linux guru type though, but just
right for schools :)

> Good to see that other schools are taking it up also. When you talk to
> people (from other schools or from Ofsted or whoever) who have concerns
> about switching from the "nice safe RM option", what are the main
> worries for them do you think?

I personally think its support, but other reasons like everyone else
is doing RM if I move will I look like a fool? We had several schools
at the moment that won't be named on the site because of this reason,
so they are waiting a few months before they "arrive".

> I know that support contracts can be an issue, so I looked on the
> karoshi.org.uk - you have a lot of free and for-fee support options,
> which is great, but I wonder if people might fear that it is a bit
> "amateurish" compared to RM? For example, there is one guy specifically
> offering to go on call-outs - but only in West Yorkshire!

Yeah, it does come across as "amateurish", I agree with that!! I have
tried to and still am putting together a large amount of help
documents, hopefully this will sway the brave but the rest would have
to wait till we are ready to provide full support, but that means I
give up my job ;)

> The thing is, of course, any reasonably experienced and competent Linux
> professional could probably get their head round Karoshi pretty quickly
> in order to provide technical support for it, I would think. But just
> saying that, isn't necessarily good enough. It might be worth providing
> a directory - or to a link to a directory somewhere else - of people who
> could help with general Linux emergencies, and people who could provide
> support contracts for peace-of-mind. I dunno, just an idea.

I was think of this, I will have to get a list of names and email them
to see if they will support us, though it is basic schools are very
very demanding when it comes to support, and I suspect that this
scares most support people off them!!

> Another possibility might be, maybe once more schools have started using it,
> to start up a company and provide all-in-one installation and support
> contracts,
> for any school in the UK that wants it, for a fraction of the price of the RM
> alternative. I haven't really thought about the financial viability of that
> - I guess you'd have to get quite a few schools to sign on to that.

Thats my final plan!! Though the project is FLOSS I would like to
start my own support company for it which is an all-in-one but alot
cheaper than RM. The problem is its a catch 22 situation. Basically I
am on £22,000 a year and though we can survive on my partners wage
only (he earns more than me) its still a risk, and to keep up with
what we have for example, we would have to make at least the above
mark....the good thing I suppose is that if it did go wrong I could
quite easily get a job in education again :)

I think timing is right, but I also think I need more market research
before I start something like that as I need to know that these people
will sign up if I go ahead with support...lol

> That's great - it's good that we've got people like you "on the inside"
> in education, spreading these ideas! :)

I''m doing my best, its hard work...lol

Jo

--