Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS

From: Tom Chance
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Young Greens moving on FS
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:00:28 +0000

Ahoy,

On Saturday 26 Feb 2005 15:24, Joe Llywelyn Griffith Blakesley wrote:
> >>forge some stronger links between the UK Greens and the AFFS<<
>
> I think AFFS should not be seen to officially support GPEW though; just
> liase in the common cause of trying to get more free software in the
> public sector (while of course, making it clear that we are perfectly
> willing to work with other political parties on this).

Of course. AFFS members, where they have the time, should be looking to work
with anybody in a good position to further the cause of the free software
movement. The Young Greens are one such way IMO.

> Do you know what official solid policies/plans AFFS, YG, GPEW, FFII UK, or
> any liason between those have on encouraging free software in educational
> institutions and how this should be done?  Or do you personally have a
> plan as to how we should go about this?  If you have, I'll do what I can
> to help.

No, of course not, otherwise I would have posted my plans by now. I just
became aware of this work within the YGs and thought that naturally it would
be worth bring people together. Since I'm by no means an expert on free
software in education; since I'm not part of, nor on the mailing lists for,
Schoolforge who seem to be the people best placed to coordinate this; since
there is an AFFS worksgroup with various people working on the issue on this
mailing list; and since I'm not a Green Party member (though I'm active with
non-party green groups in the area), it seems like the natural place to come
to raise the idea and promote discussion. I'm hoping that Chris from the YGs
will join in on this list soon. And I'm also now hoping that you'll take part
in any discussions, since you seem to be active in your area.

There's nothing worse than lots of different small groups working towards the
same aim without talking to each other. Your long list of links shows how
many groups there already are working on the issue.

If anyone wants to attend, Chris says he's running a fringe meeting on Friday
at 6pm at the Green Party England & Wales conference.

Regards,
Tom