[Fsfe-uk] Resignation from AFFS committee

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Resignation from AFFS committee
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:03:18 +0100

I resigned from the AFFS committee from last Monday. I will be working on other free software development projects, particularly marketing and projects which make me money or improve my life. I'll also be spending more time on local environment projects.

My company is the AFFS postal address and I'm happy to continue handling post promptly - either scanning, acting on or reposting - for as long as I am able. The committee need to reassign membership and financial management and give a forwarding address, but they've not decided any of those yet, as far as I know, 2 weeks after getting my resignation notice.

A longer explanation may follow soon. Basically, "Committee does not have to stick by decisions that it has made" is the dominant view now, apparently meaning that you can idle and then, if you don't like a past agreement, you just ignore it. That approach caused too many problems for me.

IIRC, my resignation means that 6 members can be elected at the AGM and only 5 continuing members (some of whom are good anyway), so new members will be a majority and can solve the problems. AFFS needs to be efficient (to help finance things well) and open (to support the community).

Submit your nominations to the secretary via address@hidden and email your offered promises to address@hidden, please.