[Fsfe-uk] Proposed roadmap

From: Tom Chance
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Proposed roadmap
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:12:17 +0100

Ahoy,

I'd like to propose a roadmap for working through these issues, which will
take us up to the AGM, where hopefully some concrete decisions can be made,
or a committee can be elected to make them.

It involves a phase of documenting current procedure, a phase of gathering
input from all "stakeholders" (for want of a better word), and a phase of
formulating proposals for change. I've put some random dates on things to
ensure the ball keeps rolling. Some of the documenting items are probably
already floating around on the web.

We could just carry on as we are. We could let people elect a committee at AGM
that would hopefully work out the issues. But I think that we (the entire
free software community) need a chance to discuss, with the experience of the
past few years, what we want the AFFS to be doing.

If people think this is a lame idea, flame away. If you think it's good but
flawed, amend!

=DOCUMENTING=
For the current committee and active members
1. What are the AFFS' aims?
   - produce a really quick bullet point list
   - deadline: 6th July
2. How does the AFFS currently operate? What are its current activities?
   - produce a structure guideline
   - produce slightly expanded bullet point list, with details on who does
     what (not who it is open to, but who actually executes it)
   - deadline: 13th July

=GATHERING INPUT=
For all, to be well publicised, with outreach exercises to organisations like
LUGS, Schoolforge UK, etc.
3. What should the AFFS' aims be?
   - let the people amend the 'official' version of affairs
   - deadline: 3rd August
4. What activities should the AFFS pursue to achieve its goals?
   - with some guideline text to avoid daft suggestions
   - deadline: 3rd August

=FORMULATING PROPOSALS=
For all, to be mentioned in publicity for input phase
5. How can the AFFS pursue those activities and choose its goals?
   - take stock of input, formulate strategies
   - should produce some idea of structure of organisation

From task 5 onwards, deadlines and what-not depend on when the AGM will be,
and how people prefer to proceed. It could be a melee of drafting and
redrafting proposals on wikis, or some facilitated workshops at the AGM, or
whatever.

Regards,
Tom

--