Re: [Fsfe-uk] Karoshi 5.0

From: linuxgirlie
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Karoshi 5.0
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:41:45 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts, I will collecting quite a few of these and will be using them to provide a better website. Alot of people have been saying that there is not enough information on the front page so I am looking into this.

Yes at the moment it only works with KDE, hence all the pictures etc, I may need to move tsome information away form the documentation website and more onto the main site, the reason why there is not so much information on the site is because I wanted to keep it simple.

I feel that it has been due to lack of time that the website is poorly put together and I am starting to work on it from today.

Jo

On 2/20/06, Chris Croughton <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 09:50:40AM +0000, linuxgirlie wrote:

> Not sure if this is any interest to anyone on this list but the latest
> version of my project Karoshi (www.karoshi.org.uk ) is now available. We have
> put in place 'distro' support so that it not reliant on Mandriva any more,
> and we have also move across more features to a GUI interface.

It would be a really good idea to have information about what it is
easily available, like on the front (home) page of the site (I don't
want to know that it's at version 5.0, I do want to know /what/ it is
before reading any further!).  Even when I go through to the description
it's some paragraphs before it is clear that it's a package aimed at
schools, and even more before I find that it seems to not do the one
thing I want from a network manager, which is to provide easy management
of DNS and DHCP (it's possible that the 'Colossus' module may provide
that, but that web page tells me that I'm not allowed to look at it
unless I sign in).

It's only after looking at the Documentation link in the "Quick
Installation Guide" that I find, for example, that it is in fact not a
full network system, it requires that a GNU/Linux system is already
installed and set up (with various partition requirements for the
different modules -- does this mean that they each have to be on
different systems?  It doesn't say).  The "Features and Requirements" --
an essential piece of information which should be prominent, not buried,
gives me "Permission Denied"!  The "Important Information" similarly
doesn't say anything useful.

All of the instructions seem to be for a KDE setup, as well (things like
"You will see..." -- no, I won't if I'm not running KDE).  Is that
required?  Again, it doesn't seem to say.

Sorry, for software which claims to be at version 5.0 it looks to be
like beta or even alpha level from the website.

Chris C