Re: [affs-project] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: APIG inital report

From: graham
Subject: Re: [affs-project] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: APIG inital report
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:42:01 +0000

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 08:01 +0000, Chris Croughton wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 12:49:53AM +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:
>  There is no such primary market in  recent works (as MJ
> > says, if you want to get a book printed you normally have to give
> > exclusive printing rights to one publisher),

> But even with the traditional publishers the 'monopoly' rights tend to
> now have built-in limits, so that if they cease printing the book and
> have no intention of reprinting the rights revert and can be sold
> elsewhere, and in other cases they are only exclusive for one form
> (hardcover by one publisher, paperback by another, for instance).

You're saying it's possible for the author to negotiate such a limited
surrender of rights, not that the law has changed; am I understanding
that right?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been asked by an author to make a
book available on the web. The original print rights were assigned to a
company which went broke and were taken over by a well-known left-wing
publisher. The author is happy to make the work freely available, since
it is now out-of-print; the publisher say they wish to retain all print
rights they have inherited, and the copyright statement on the web
version must say that it cannot be converted to print-on-demand,
although they themselves have no intention of reprinting the book or
providing a p-o-d service. As I understand the law, they are within
their rights to say this - correct?

Cheers
Graham