Re: Summary: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: Summary: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 23:10:17 +0100

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 22:31 +0100, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:
> > [...] I'm a bit uncomfortable with
> > talks about the GPLv3 technological measures preventions being
> > about DRM in general.
>
> I've hit this problem too.  We need a word for bad DRM.  I think this was
> RMS's inspiration for coining "tivoisation" but I haven't made up my mind
> yet on that term.

FWIW, I know that in DRM consultations there are always radio stations
or similar who come out in support of DRM because it enables them to
keep track of the royalties etc. - I don't know how much difference it
does make to them, but it does sound like they're saving themselves a
small world of pain.

I'm not sure there is a word for 'bad DRM' - I don't think technology is
inherently good or bad. It's a lot like trusted computing - the TC chip
in my laptop is entirely useful from a security point of view, but could
be used against me if I ran the wrong software.

Cheers,

Alex.