Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Explanation of Tivosiation and problems - comments sought
Date: 18 Dec 2006 14:32:21 +0000

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm not sure what argument you're making - that the GPL can place extra
> burdens on commercial distributors simply because they're making a
> product?

Sort of.  The licence has to contain some restrictions, so what restrictions
are reasonable?

Well, for simple things that many people do, such as emailing a copy to
their friend, any restriction that is as burdensome as sending an email
would amount to doubling the difficulty of doing that.

For acts that involve commerce and organisations, it's ok to add more
restrictions because asking that they write a short script to generate lists
of encrypted keys is a drop in the ocean.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan __________________ \ http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3
http://ciaran.compsoc.com/ _________ \  GPLv3 and other work supported by