Re: [Fsfe-uk] Can more be done on the swpat e-petition?

From: P.L.Hayes
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Can more be done on the swpat e-petition?
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:25:07 +0000

On Thursday 01 February 2007 12:23, Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
> The petition against software patents has only 1,817 signatories and is
> ranked number 45 of all the petitions:
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/open?sort=signers
>
> It lags behind "legalise cannabis" and "replace the national anthem with
> 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet".
>
> The deadline is Feb 20th.  Members of this list have probably already
> signed it,

"Software patents are used by convicted monopolists to threaten
customers who consider using rival software. As a result, patents
stifle innovation..."

Looks like a cunning trap devised by Simon Gentry (or whoever's doing
the pro-swpat brigade's dirty work these days). I certainly won't be
signing it.

Paul.