Re: [Fsfe-uk] Waiver of IP rights for Free Software

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Waiver of IP rights for Free Software
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:31:16 +0000

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 08:24:39AM +0000, Rob Myers wrote:

> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Rob Myers <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Thank you for pointing this out. A sample disclaimer has been added to
> >> the relevant URL.
> >
> > Thanks.  GPLv3 says the relevant URL is http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
> > but I don't see a disclaimer there.  Where is it?
>
> It's at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
>
> I don't think the text of GPL3 will be changed for this, but I'll see if
> anything else can be done.

For what I wanted the current position is fine, I think that was the
first place I looked for it originally.  I'd expect it to be in a HOWTO
type document, I'm not sure that it actually belongs in the licence
itself (no other licence I've seen has that sort of thing in it).

(The company for which I wanted it has confirmed that they have no
interest in claiming IP for any software which isn't directly written
for them, which is good to hear.  Especially since the last one tried
to claim everything for up to half a year after we left...)

Thanks,

Chris C