fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: Mac
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 12:31:04 +0100

Dave Crossland wrote:
You are conflating freedom with convenience.

It is morally bad for him to choose to run proprietary software, even
if it's very convenient, because they are giving up their freedom and
that effects him (because he no longer the aspect of his life he uses
the software for) and everyone else (because he promises not to share,
and makes it less convenient for others to reject that software.)

The best tool for the job is a free one.

Friends >>> I've been thinking about how RMS uses the important and serious word 'freedom' in relation to our use of computers, and what it really means to contrast 'freedom' with 'convenience' in this regard.

You see, I'm beginning to wonder whether using computers at all isn't more a matter of convenience than freedom. (IIRC, when Gandhi died, he owned - besides his dhoti and shawl - a handkerchief, a pair of spectacles and a (paper) notebook.)

So, shouldn't the person we're discussing here just write a letter on paper, rather than assume we have a computer, or send us the calculations and graphs on paper, or send us a tape of the music he just composed?

In other words, do we want to argue that to use computers and the internet are, in themselves, moral imperatives, or a condition of human existence and spiritual progress, or the only route to freedom?

It seems to me that the 'moral problem' we're puzzling over is more to do with people making genuinely informed choices about things that are essentially a matter of convenience, but in full knowledge of the consequences -- to themselves and their community: a bit like using a car, knowing that it emits carbon dioxide. But, as others have said, what kind of 'freedom' are we arguing for if we assert that they must be prevented from making the 'wrong' choice? (Though perhaps using aeroplanes to go on holiday may soon be forbidden by law!)

But if someone thoughtlessly sends us a Word file, and won't or can't offer us an alternative, we can phone him and ask him to print it and send it to us in an envelope. Isn't asking for it as a .odf really a matter of our own convenience?

I'm seriously struggling with this, so I'm finding the discussion here really helpful (though I can see that folk have strong feelings; so I hope we'll be able to pursue this topic without getting angry with each other).

Best wishes

Mac