fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Re: dates for upcoming meetings

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: dates for upcoming meetings
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 00:57:15 +0100

Simon Ward wrote:
On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:08:34PM +0100, Tim Dobson wrote:
Based on Manchester Free Software meeting on the third tuesday of each month, the upcoming meeting sshould take place on:

20th May, 17th Jun, 15 Jul, 19 Aug, 16 sept, 21 oct, 18 nov, 23 dec (!)

MDDA likes us to book the room as far in advance as possible, perhaps we should book up to november or something... that should make them happy and give us something concrete to work with.

So you know, June is booked.  I said we should be able to confirm July
shortly.

It’s good to book in advance, but we need to get our acts
together and get speakers in advance.  I’d hate to book a room, provided
for no cost, and then not make use of it.

this is where I differ in opinion.

Gerry @ MDDA's face lit up when I mentioned booking the room More than 1/2months in advance.

I think it makes sense to book the room, whether we have the room or not. I remember the December meeting last year - even though matt hadn't booked the room, some of us turned up, including you (simon), and something was still gained from the use of the room.

It is easy to create something impromptu to do on day if we have not found a speaker, however we should not regard this as a possibility and *always* aim to have a speaker.

Impromptu discussions, key signing parties, installfests, meals, quizzes, etc. can be mooted at the point when for an unforeseeable reason, we do not have a speaker.

I think we should aim to meet on the third tuesday of each month, to keep continuity and booking in advance gives us some slack (in that the room won't get double-booked) and some pressure (in that we have to find speakers)

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----