fsuk-manchester

Re: A new user to GNU/Linux WAS: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neig

From: Benjamin Webb
Subject: Re: A new user to GNU/Linux WAS: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:47:20 +0100

>  Apparently he doesn't use MSN Messenger much, but aMSN does all that quite
> like "Windows Live Messenger".
Imo, emesene is better than aMSN, although it is relatively new
(http://emesene.org/), it looks like Windows Live Messenger, but does
not use that butt ugly toolkit that aMSN does. However, like I say, it
is new, and webcam etc. is still being worked on.

>  While I realise there are ethical problems with me doing this, and they do
> bother me, I feel it is important to make sure my brother gets firmly using
> GNU/Linux. After about two months, if things are going well, I will start to
> chat about Freedom. However, as Stuart Langbridge mentioned; it's important
> not to bollock the user.
Yes, don't bollock users, I agree totally. As you mention at the start
of your message, its a road to freedom. Free software is often a
balance between convenience and achieving freedom. Most people must
head towards freedom using small sense. It is better for them to use
some free software than none. For this reason, I think what you did
was perfectly valid. He is now running a free operating system, which
is a good basis to start from. Far better than if you had but
gnewsense on there and scared him away from free software forever.