fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 10:11:35 +0100

Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
> My brother's Windows XP computer has stopped booting. Apparently it
> won't boot from CD because of GRUB from previous (now removed) debian
> install.
> This is obviously highly unlikely. It's probably the BIOS. [...]
> what would you do?

I'd make really sure that GRUB isn't the problem and/or help remove
the last remnants of GRUB if necessary, with the brother watching and
explaining any steps taken while attempting to fix it so that it's
convincing that GRUB isn't the problem, then hand the machine back.

I believe that helping someone to self-harm usually isn't helping them
(but it seems that few people agree exactly what is usual about that)
and installing Windows isn't much better.  If he chooses to pay
someone else to help him install Windows, that's another freedom of
choice.  Don't surrender your own freedom not to install Windows...

Let us know how it turns out,
--
MJ Ray (slef)