fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] "Free Spaces" at the Zion Centre

From: Dave Page
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] "Free Spaces" at the Zion Centre
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:49:59 +0100

Today, a bunch of us met at the Zion Centre in Hulme to discuss a
computer project there. The project has four main aims:

1) To support the aims and projects of the Zion Centre
2) To provide facilities for youth groups
3) To facilitate creativity in multimedia
4) To promote free software

We examined some desktop PC hardware available at the Zion Centre, along
with the LTSP server from the Basement and a couple of the desktops.
Given that the ressurection of the Basement in any form seems unlikely,
it seems reasonable to make use of the hardware rather than leaving it
in storage - but feedback from other members of the Basement IT Working
Group would be appreciated here.

The Basement server is still operational, though we didn't have root
access to it. Our only bootable LiveCD was scratched and
non-operational. We managed to get the server online, with one client
booting off it. The server still has a load of Basement stuff on it.

The current ambition is to have the server up and running with four
clients, by 23rd July when a youth group starts working there. The
system needs to be usable for web browsing and word processing, which
are pretty simple uses of LTSP.

I left Mick investigating which of the desktop hardware was still in
working order, and he will be providing an inventory of hardware the
project needs. Mick filmed some of the work and will set up a blog for
the project, documenting it from start to finish.

We'll be back next Saturday (19th July) to try and get everything up and
running. I'll be bringing some up-to-date Debian images - this is the
distribution the LTSP developers use, and has the best packaging
support for LTSP servers.

TODO LIST FOR 19th:

1) Dave to bring DVD-R drive to archive the Basement files
2) Possible repartition and reinstall of LTSP server
3) Generate materials to teach youth groups about free software, how it
differs from proprietary software etc.

We could do with people to help out, particularly with creating
educational material for the youth group. Feel free to come along and
get involved!

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>