fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:27:56 +0100

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:12:24AM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> It no more "evil, bad and wrong" than a get together around a single
> point of discussion whether that be free software, programming in a
> particular language or promotion of a particular industry. Would you
> call it "discrimination" if I had a talk prepared on Ruby which was
> rejected at a PHP conference? Or if people refused to listen to a talk
> on how wonderful EULAs were at an FSUK meeting?

That's not the same thing. Hosting a talk based around a topic which
people are interested in and open to all is not discrimination -
limiting attendance to people based on a biological attribute is. Anyone
can go to a talk about Ruby if they want to (even PHP developers, though
they might not find the subject matter of interest), however I can't go
to a Geek Girls Dinner or WISET event - not because of my interest in
the subject being discussed (some of the talks given I would like to go
to) but purely because of my gender.

Paul

--
Paul Waring