fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:40:19 +0100

On 29/07/2008, MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Yes, the previously-mentioned computing place where I worked with many
>  women was a university.  The computing courses at that same uni were
>  still severely imbalanced, though.  How is it at the ones above and
>  does anyone know research into whether this is general and the reasons
>  for this?  It seems too long-standing for the recent law changes to be
>  the cause.

The computer science BSc at the UWE was about 98% male (100 people in
total) and I think that's probably similar at the University of
Manchester. Interestingly the bioinformatics MSc I took at UoM was
split about even (with even numbers coming from both computing and
biology).

It's hard to say much about the employees at the Uni because the
workforce seems very segregated by department/school/research group.
But in IT the public sector attracts a much higher proportion of women
workers than the private sector. I can't remember offhand any
references for this though and any reasoning for this is pure
speculation, but work environment and benefits are likely to be
involved.

Also, the numbers of women taking computing at Uni has fallen over the
last 10 or 20 years. Again, I don't have references to hand but they
should be easy to find. Ubuntu-women and linux-chix are both good
places to start.