fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Wanted: Netbook.... advice

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Wanted: Netbook.... advice
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:17:12 +0000

2009/2/19 Tim Dobson <address@hidden>:
> Hi there,
>
> In the next ten days or so I'm going to be buying a netbook - an ultra
> portable low-cost laptop new or second hand.
> I hope you can give me some advice.
>
> ----
>
> I'm looking for a machine[1] to use for on the road web browsing and a
> little bit of note taking, ideally already running GNU/Linux.

I'm still happy with the EeePC 900, it's got great Linux support and I
think the wireless driver is even free now too.

I would strongly recommend going to a shop and trying to type on
various netbooks before buying one though. The EeePC 901 upwards and
the 1000 range have a slightly bigger chassis and keyboard which you
may prefer.

If you want Linux out of the box then you're almost certainly looking
at buying something with an SSD rather than HDD, as most of those seem
to come with Windows XP from what I've seen recently.

You may also want to consider the Dell Inspiron Mini 9. I've heard
good things about them, although not tried one myself.

Have you looked to see what Linux Emporium and Efficient PC are
selling at the moment?