fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] SFD09 – The final call for volunteers

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] SFD09 – The final call for volunteers
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:44:45 +0100

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 06:15:54PM +0100, Leslie I'Anson wrote:
> > what's be the best way to get organised? are there enough people with
> > keys to do a formal party? or would something ad hoc be better?

A formal key-signing party would ideally have prepared lists of
fingerprints sent to the coordinator before the event, and I don’t think
there is enough time before SFD to do this.

Because of the nature of the event we don’t have a fixed list of poeple
going (except maybe a core who have said they’ll be there).

For these reasons I’d go for ad-hoc.

> My advice would be to hold a workshop (or two) first. Then numbers
> won't be so much of a problem.

I think workshops would be useful, but I think the idea of people being
shown how, followed by generating their own keys, and then doing the
verification for signing is iffy.

Ideally, people should create their keys in private, on a system they
trust, and not in a public place connected to public wireless.

Maybe we can do the workshops for SFD and follow up with a key-signing
event another time?

Obviously, for those of us who already have keys, we can still exchange
fingerprints at SFD.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall