fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Michael's PGP Signature - Re: Fsuk-manchester Dige

From: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Michael's PGP Signature - Re: Fsuk-manchester Digest, Vol 36, Issue 3
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:53:46 +0100

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 10:11:40PM +0100, Andrew Gladwell wrote:

> But for those who, like myself, receive the  daily digest it might be a
> little intrusive.

Hmm, I think this may be the crux of the matter...

My mail clients (mutt and kmail) both recognise and hide PGP-format signatures
and just tell me whether the mail has a valid signature or not. I can't believe
that Thunderbird doesn't do this under normal circumstances.

However, normal circumstances probably mean "when you're presenting your
signature as a MIME attachment" or "when your inline signature is at the bottom
of the message", and mail clients probably aren't set up to deal with inline
signatures in the middle of digests like that.

It may be that the list software allows you to receive the digest as a series
of MIME messages. If your mail client is good at handling MIME, this might
improve the situation for you. Or you might consider some kind of mail filter
on your end to strip out inline PGP signatures from the digest.

It would probably help you if Michael were using MIME for his PGP signatures
but I believe this causes breakage or confusion for people using certain
Microsoft-produced mail clients...

Dave
--
Dave Page <address@hidden>